May 4, 2017

May 26, 2017

The time has come. I will no longer have a "day job" which in my case was a part time job working at FedEx Express. After almost four years of being with the company I have decided that I need to stop being afraid and tackle this idea of doing photography full time. From 2013 - 2016 I worked at the Denver International Airport location in which I was working the evening shift. I was still considered part time but I was clocking in about 29 - 32 hours a week in which it's almost considered full time. Let alone the busy seasons in where I was really clocking in the 35+ hours. Now, that was great money but I was never happy doing it. I knew that I wanted to focus on my creative work because while I was at work all I could think about was the creative shit I could be doing. The beginning of this year I took a "leap" as some would call it and transferred to work a different FedEx location to work approximately 10 - 17 hours a week and took a $1.+ pay cut.

"You still live at home, and if you don't try it now, it will become harder and harder for your to break out and give it a shot down the line."




My first couple of days at the new location everyone was asking me why I transferred there as I had a great position at the ramp (DIA) which was hard to come by and I'd explain why and everyone would look at me crazy. How dare I leave this job in where my pay was great and the hours were great? That was a tough thing to sell to my parents as well as they were not really on board with that idea. I did it though and the first five months of this year have been great. I have spent countless amount of hours working to better my craft as I have had so much availability due to the decrease of hours I work at my "day job." I'd be lying if I'd say that financially I didn't struggle as I have had to change my lifestyle to meet my new wage. Fortunately, by the third month I felt like I had figured it out though. I figured out how to prioritize and budget correctly. Pretty much breaking even and saving little to nothing. I realized that I am capable of living this lifestyle that I should really just commit to my idea of being a photographer full time as I feel prepared to face the music of what it means to be a freelancer.





I have had a lot of support from friends and colleagues who have encouraged me to really give this a shot. "You still live at home, and if you don't try it now, it will become harder and harder for your to break out and give it a shot down the line." So here we go! I'm currently prepping for what's to come as much as possible by updating my portfolio, getting my thumbtack profile squared away, reaching out to potential clients, & beginning this personal blog in where I'd like to document my journey as I venture into this career path. Wish me luck. <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment